Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our "Extra Special" Wedding Anniversary Celebration



Last May 1, 2011 was our 6th wedding anniversary.  As usual, people kept on asking …Where are you celebrating your anniversary?   Are you going out of town?  Travelling abroad?  Having a candle-light dinner in a 5 star hotel?  Naaahhh… None of the above.

Where were we?!?  We were at Cardinal Santos Medical Center in Greenhills, inside the clinic of our OB for our artificial insemination.  Yes, that was a Sunday, so there were no people in the Medical Arts Building of the hospital, only me, my husband and our OB.  What a way to celebrate our anniversary, isn’t it?

Artificial Insemination, also called AI or IUI (intrauterine insemination) is a method of assisted conception wherein the “washed” sperm is introduced into the woman’s uterus at around the time of ovulation, with the aim of getting the sperm nearer to the egg.  This procedure is often combined with fertility drugs.  However, for our cycle this month, we did a natural cycle + artificial insemination, meaning we did not take any fertility drug.    

So first, my husband collected the sperm and put it inside a sterile container.  Then our OB “washed” the sperm, which means the sperm was separated from the semen and concentrated.  The process took more than an hour with the swim up technique.  After this, the insemination took place. 

The concentrate was injected to me via a catheter that was passed through the cervix and into the uterus.  It was relatively a painless procedure with a little discomfort likened to having a pap smear.  I also felt a little cramping during the procedure, which was just normal.  I rested for 30 minutes and then went home already …

It is advisable to avoid strenuous activities after the insemination.  Though from what I have researched in the internet, it is okay to get up and move around after IUI because your cervix close, keeping the newly deposited sperm right where it should be.  But of course, it won’t hurt to take it easy for a few days.  OB also asked us to contact the following day to help increase the chances of conceiving.

The success rate of an IUI is around 15% per cycle.  The cost we paid for the procedure alone was Php10,000. 

Pregnancy test was asked to be done on May 17, 2011.  It is usually asked to be done after 2 weeks or so.  Unfortunately, my period came exactly 2 weeks after the insemination.  So, that’s another unsuccessful artificial insemination for us…

But life goes on… 

9 comments:

alnie sy said...

I admire your strength, optimism and faith in trying all possible means to conceive a child. I salute you for not giving up when it seems that you have tried almost everything... Let me share with you this simple phrase - "Rest if you must, but DON'T YOU QUIT!" If at times you feel discouraged and hopeless, always remember this powerful phrase. Keep on trying, keep on believing, keep on hoping, keep the faith, and most of all keep on praying. I know you will be truly blessed with a child in God's time.

Jacqui said...

hi deb, it is really brave of you to share the details of your story. I always believe that God will send you the blessing on the right time. Have the faith!! :) He will take care of everything. Also, thank you for sharing your story. I will include you in my prayers. :) take care! :)

Debbie said...

Hi Deb. I'm also Deborah. Call me Debbie. We celebrated our 3rd yr anniversary last April, and we have the same case still TTC. But I know God will give our precious angel at the right time. I haven't tried AI but thinking of giving it a shot. Can you give me an idea of what to expect and how much would it cost? Thanks you very much.

Keep on believing and strengthen your faith. Go Sis!!!

Deborah said...

Hi Debbie, what a coincidence! same name, same problem? hehehe!

AI costs Php10,000 for the procedure itself.

But prior to that if it is a stimulated cycle, OB will ask you to take fertility drugs like clomid or femara for 5 days.

Then OB injects Ovidrel (HCG) to trigger release of mature eggs on Day 10 or depends on the size of egg... that costs Php3,000.

AI is painless, just like a pap smear. Nothing to worry about it. It just helps us get the sperm nearer to the egg. Success rate is around 10-15%, but is more cost effective than IVF which costs around half a million pesos and success rate is less than 25%.

You can try it. Ask your OB about it. =)

Good luck to both of us! =)

aimee seconds said...

Hello Ma'am Debbie... Been reading your blogs and just like you, I'm struggling through infertility, so I so much understand the feeling. It's uplifting that there are people out there we're sharing the same story. we are celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary this coming April. For years, we've been through infertility drugs and lots of hilot here and there. Napakabigat sa dibdib realy but we have to go on, life must go on. Frustrations after every cycle hehe. For now, we are resting and just going on hilot. We're planning too for an IUI, do any ob-gyne can do that, I hope they have it here in Baguio so we don't have to go there in Manila.

Anonymous said...

Hi deb how are u its nice to know that there are people like me longing to be a mom.how was ur journey?

wedding coordinator manila said...

nice wedding anniversary celebration!I have idea now!

Unknown said...

Hi i just want to ask did that hilot work on you?

Unknown said...

Hi everyone,i am here to let you all know how i got my children with the
help of Dr OGUNDU herbal center.It was exactly two years of not having a
child of my own,me and my husband went to different medical Doctors for
check up but still there was no complain about the both of us.I read a
testimony of how a lady that was wihtout a child for 8 years got one
after taking Dr OGUNDU Herbs,so i contacted him without wasting time.He
gave me some roots and herbs syrup and told me that i will be pregnant
in less that a month.Exact two weeks,i went to the Doctor and i was
confirm pregnant.I am so happy to let you all know that i am a mother of
twin(Boy and Girl).What are you waiting for,contact him for your own
testimony on: Contact him on:ogunduherbalcenter@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...